zoom South Korean shipbuilding giant Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering (DSME) has seen a healthy order intake in the previous month, putting DSME’s 2014 secured orders value at approximately 5.8 billion USD.DSME’s figures back the estimates that South Korean shipbuilding is entering the recovery mode after it lost its top spot to Chinese rivals.USD 5.8 Bln in new ordersAccording to Clarkson’s data cited by Yonhap, South Korean shipbuilders reclaimed their top position after five months as the number of new orders for local shipyards jumped 3.6 times on-month to 33 ships totaling 1.4 million compensated gross tons (CGTs) in July.On the other hand, Chinese counterparts are not likely to give up the number one place without a fight. With the support from the government, China’s shipbuilding industry swept the global market in the first half of 2014.Based on data issued by Clarkson Research in July, Chinese shipbuilders won 900,000 CGT, or 47.7 percent in total, in new orders claiming the top position in the month of June, followed by Japanese shipyards in the second place and the Korean builders in third.However, the tables may be turning as DSME bags new orders. Last month DSME inked new orders for nine Arc 7 icebreaking LNG carriers.DSME received six LNG carrier orders from Teekay & CLNG, a joint venture between Canada’s Teekay and China’s CLNG, and the remaining three orders are with MOL & CSLNG, a joint venture between Japan’s MOL and China’s CSLNG.This vessel is the first icebreaking LNG carrier. It is able to load 170,000㎥ of LNG and is capable of breaking 2.1 meters thick ice which is commonly found in the Arctic Ocean.DSME won an additional order for four Very Large Crude Oil Carriers (VLCC) on the 30th of July.The value of the contract is approximately 400 million USD and Maran Tankers Management will be operating and managing the vessels.This vessel is equipped with DSME’s latest eco-ship design which features such advancements as a high efficiency engine and fuel saving technologies. The two companies also agreed to build additional vessels which will be propelled by LNG.World Maritime News Staff, August 14, 2014
The Nova Scotia Public Prosecution Service will be seeking a Supreme Court of Canada appeal in the case of Nicole Ryan, a Digby woman accused of attempting to hire a man to kill her husband. Ms. Ryan was arrested in March 2008, and was tried in Nova Scotia Supreme Court on a charge of counseling another person to commit murder. She was acquitted in March 2010, after presenting a defence of duress. The Crown appealed the decision to the Nova Scotia Court of Appeal. In a unanimous decision on March 29, 2011, the Court of Appeal dismissed the appeal. An appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada would be based on errors in law relating to the defence of duress and resulting confusion between the defences of duress and self-defence. “These are significant legal issues of public importance which the Crown wishes the Supreme Court of Canada to consider,” said Martin Herschorn, director of public prosecutions. The Public Prosecution Service will be filing its notice of application for appeal with the Supreme Court of Canada within the week.
Anjem Choudary, the notorious Islamist hate preacher, will be released from jail next month despite a chilling warning from the justice minister that he remained “genuinely dangerous”.Choudary, 51, is due to be freed within weeks after serving half of a five-and-a-half-year prison sentence for encouraging Muslims to join Islamic State.The Government admitted on Tuesday it was powerless to prevent Choudary from being released on licence. Rory Stewart, the prisons minister, said that the preacher was “a deeply pernicious, destabilising influence”.Mr Stewart, in an interview, added: “He is… somebody who is a genuinely dangerous person. We will be watching him very carefully.”Choudary was leader of the proscribed terrorist group al-Muhajiroun, whose followers included Khuram Butt, part of the London Bridge terror cell who murdered eight innocent bystanders in June last year.Other disciples include Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale, the killers of Fusilier Lee Rigby, murdered outside his barracks in south London in 2013. Show more At the time he was jailed in 2016, Choudary had been linked to 15 terror plots dating back almost 20 years and connections to hundreds of British jihadists who fled to Syria to fight.David Videcette, a former detective with the anti-terror squad who investigated the July 7 suicide attacks on London in 2005, said: “Every plot I ever researched – someone in it was linked to Choudary.” Lord Carlile, former Independent Reviewer of Terrorism Legislation, said Choudary “knows how to play the system”, adding: “It is disturbing and worrying that he will be back on the streets.” It is Choudary will likely be tagged and placed in a ‘halfway house’ with restrictions imposed on his use of the internet and on the people he can mix with. Security services are also expected to keep him under surveillance.His case highlights the huge problems faced by the Government in delaing with Islamist extremists jailed for shorter sentences for lesser offences who are now due out.Mr Stewart said in the interview with the Evening Standard: “Even if they themselves are not making bombs. They are a completely pernicious influence on the people they come into contact with and they need to be kept away from them.” Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings. The Ministry of Justice said that Choudary was given a determinate sentence, has served his two and a bit years and will serve the remaining time on licence in the community. He will be monitored and tracked.A government source added: “He will technically be a free man”.Choudary had spent years goading authorities before finally being jailed. He refused to condemn the 7/7 bombings, demanded the imposition of Sharia across Britain and once called for the Queen to wear a burka.But using his legal training and forensic understanding of terrorism legislation he had – until 2016 – always managed to stay just the right side of the law and avoid prosecution.