TAGSCharlie McLeanfeaturedKing John’s CastlemuralMusic LimerickPicassoSmug WhatsApp #SaucySoul: Room 58 – ‘Hate To See You Leave’ NewsLimerick Picasso is no fan of castle muralsBy Guest Writer – August 1, 2013 2652 Email Linkedin Print Celebrating a ground breaking year in music from Limerick No vaccines in Limerick yet King John’s Castle Limerick reopens with new medieval themed outdoor games Facebook Previous articleAoife McLoughlin joins ProtobabyNext articleSearch is on for the students of 1962 Guest Writerhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Mural‘ART, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder’That adage certainly holds true in the case of murals painted near King John’s Castle last week that have caused a conflict of opinion amongst locals.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The murals, commissioned by Limerick City Council, as part of the ‘Make a Move’ festival have been described as ‘totally inappropriate’ by Convent Street resident Charlie McLean (74). “There like something out of a horror comic. The location next to the medieval castle is out-of-place. They wouldn’t put something like that near Buntratty.“If these murals are modern art, then I’m Picasso,” said Mr McLean who has lived in the area all his life.However, Limerick City Councillor and Thomondgate resident Tom Shortt said the murals transform a rough wall on a derelict site into contemporary urban art.“The murals are painted to a high standard. They can be painted over by other artists in years to come and are not permanent, unlike some of the embarrassingly poor quality bronze public sculptures we are stuck with erected in the city in recent years.“I believe that the murals create an appropriate backdrop for City of Culture 2014. This kind of art is an ever-increasing trend and part of an urban landscape,” he said.The murals were painted by Australian born, Glasgow based artist, Smug, who is regarded as one of the most accomplished street artists in the world.Meanwhile, Limerick Arts Office has announced details of the country’s first subsidised living space scheme for artists. An open call has been made to recognised cultural practitioners, including contemporary visual artists, performers, musicians and writers, to apply for the use of six newly-refurbished residential apartments at John’s Square.The Square reopened to the public earlier this year following a €1.5 million redevelopment by Limerick City Council and, according to the local authority, it can now be considered Limerick’s Living Cultural Quarter.For more information see www.limerickcity.ie. Walk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Twitter Emma Langford shortlisted for RTE Folk Award and playing a LIVE SHOW!!! this Saturday Advertisement
By Julieta Pelcastre/Diálogo May 15, 2018 The Colombian Air Force (FAC, in Spanish) and the Dominican Air Force (FARD, in Spanish) set important parameters for their future combined fight against narcotrafficking and transnational crime. In February 2018, the Caribe VII air defense exercise concluded at the 3rd Combat Air Command in Barranquilla, Colombia. Crews from both military forces conducted a nighttime mission for the first time, as well as daytime training exercises to widen their range of airspace control. “By May 2018, combined joint exercises such as Caribe VII allowed us to reduce the percentage of illegal or irregular flights over Colombian and Dominican airspace to zero. Ten years ago, approximately 50 or 60 illegal flights went between these two nations every year,” FAC Major Juan Manuel Londoño Gordon, commander of the 3rd Combat Air Command’s 314th Air Defense Squadron, told Diálogo. “Caribe VII strengthened defense systems, bonds of trust and fellowship between the two countries, and strategies and procedures to face threats against the airspace of both countries.” Historic exercise The exercise set a historic mark for crewmembers with the first nighttime mission using the FARD’s A-29B Super Tucano aircraft. “This is a new capacity used by the institution this year ,” reported FAC in a press release. “The maneuvers we conducted allowed us to fine-tune all coordination procedures between the two nations’ command and control centers,” Captain Giovanni Pérez Sosa, FAC pilot, told Diálogo. The goal of exercises such as Caribe VII is to keep up with training and standardize the work of binational crews to develop detection, identification, and transfer operations for irregular air traffic of unidentified aircraft. “Transnational crime seeks new strategies to fulfill its objectives. We must respond to these new forms of crime, and this is the perfect backdrop to check the effectiveness and efficiency of our procedures against illegal flights,” Capt. Pérez added. Nighttime target hand-off One hundred service members participated in Caribe VII, designed to help personnel face possible threats, maintain, and improve their operational standards. They used 15 aircraft, including combat airplanes, close air support platforms, and search and rescue helicopters for more than 80 flight hours between both air forces. The training consisted of simulating an illegal aircraft. Once land sensors belonging to both FAC and FARD detected the aircraft, the close air support platform was launched. Minutes later, fighter jets approached the aircraft. Aerial forces forced the illegal light aircraft to land in a controlled aerodrome and turned it over to land authorities. The crews made use of international communication protocols. “The pilots of the Dominican fighter planes realized the difficulty of night ops and meeting with the close air support platform,” said Maj. Londoño. “During this mission, we met on three occasions and handed off the target during the night, which allowed us to increase the interoperability and capacities of the FAC and FARD.” The air defense exercises allowed both countries to fine-tune their control procedures from land radars to air operations and the platform working with the Dominican and Colombian fighter planes, with a special emphasis on the close air support platform working with the FARD’s Super Tucanos. They also established flight procedures for the presence of an aircraft suspected of trafficking drugs. “To maintain and improve operational standards, we have to practice constantly because the enemy does not stay still; this enemy evolves and creates new styles [of attack]. The fight against narcotrafficking is not only done with the Dominican Republic, but also with partner forces and nations affected one way or another by the scourge of narcotrafficking,” said Maj. Londoño. In addition to the strict control and constant vigilance in the air, Colombia and the Dominican Republic also protect their maritime spaces from illegal use. The Colombian and Dominican navies increased the number of combined exercises to reduce the illicit trafficking of narcotics and other psychotropic substances by sea. “What we aim to do is [eradicate] illegal drug trafficking by air and by sea. This benefits people throughout Central and South America,” Maj. Londoño concluded.
7SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr continue reading » Prominent think tank supports bipartisan Senate reg-relief bill: A key part of CUNA’s 360° advocacy includes building broad coalitions of support for our priorities. We’re proud to note that Third Way, a Washington D.C. think tank from the political center recently came out in support of the Main Street regulatory relief bill S. 2155. We welcome its backing as we continue to push for Senate passage of this vital legislation. Third Way, a strong supporter of Dodd-Frank, noted that the bill is designed to give community banks and credit unions more room to lend. I couldn’t agree more. If you agree, take action today.CFPB pledges to focus on bad actors, tailor enforcement: For a long time, CUNA has been asking for less one-size-fits-all regulation by the CFPB—target the rulebreakers, but give the good guys like credit unions more breathing room. This week the CFPB’s interim director wrote an op-ed outlining a vision for the regulatory agency that sounds like it will get us closer to what credit unions want: clearer rules, a focus on the real consumer threats, and decision-making driven by qualitative data and consumer complaints, something CUNA has forcefully argued for.We’re hoping in that new spirit, the CFPB will take another look at how it characterizes overdraft services. So far, the bureau’s reports have relied on old data from a small number of big banks, and don’t reflect the more consumer-friendly way credit unions handle overdraft protection. The bureau already agreed this week to CUNA’s request to delay the implementation of a prepaid accounts rule, beyond even what we requested.
Hummer rollover southeast of Wellington near Wellington Lake.Sumner Newscow report â€” A rollover of a 2006 H3 Hummer northeast of Wellington Lake at 7 p.m. on Thursday, June 20, resulted in minor injuries.Tyler Manford Baum, of Wellington, was driving westbound in the Hummer about a quarter mile east of the intersection of 30th Ave. and Clearwater Road when he lost control of the vehicle due to loose gravel. The Hummer would eventually roll over in a north ditch. The Hummer was destroyed according to the press release.Baum and his friend, Chris Wonser were headed to Wellington Lake at the time of the accident. Wonser suffered a shoulder injury. Baum was relatively uninjured and went to work today. Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comments (6) Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings Sort by: Date Rating Last Activity Loading comments… You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. +1 Vote up Vote down I would drive it · 372 weeks ago It don’t look destroyed to me. Report Reply 2 replies · active 372 weeks ago 0 Vote up Vote down Cindy · 372 weeks ago You did not see the other side, top or back end. Report Reply +2 Vote up Vote down Ted Logan · 372 weeks ago You haven’t dealt with insurance companies lately, have you? Report Reply 0 Vote up Vote down Saw it · 372 weeks ago we drove by it about 10 minutes after it happened. He passed our farm and wasn’t even speeding (at that time anyway) and when we left we saw the ambulance leaving and the sheriffs had to get out of the way to let us through. It was destroyed. no questions. The came across the crappy bridge an our maintainer man can’t seem to keep loose gravel from either side of it. We’ve fishtailed in my wifes car going under 30. Its not the safest. Report Reply 0 replies · active 372 weeks ago +6 Vote up Vote down Cristy · 372 weeks ago This was my son and my best friends son. I have a better picture that shows a lot of the actual damage. This picture looks like someone pushed it on it’s side but it was much worse. I am just thankful that there weren’t any serious injuries or fatalities. I hope that by posting this story, others will be that much more cautious. After all, vehicles are replaceable, people are not. Report Reply 0 replies · active 372 weeks ago 0 Vote up Vote down Curious · 371 weeks ago I wonder if this is the same Hummer I saw at the Watershed when it snowed this year. If it is, he almost hit a truck and was speeding up and down the hills where the kids were sledding. Report Reply 0 replies · active 371 weeks ago Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments
Egypt’s coach Javier Aguirre came in for criticism for his management of the side during the African Cup of Nations, with Egypt legend Wael Gomaa accusing the Mexican of having “no tactics or strategy”.Following Saturday’s defeat, Aguirre said he alone took the blame for the host nation’s disastrous campaign and indicated he would hold talks with the Egyptian football association over his future.Egypt had been tipped as leading title contenders on home soil but came unstuck against a South African team that only scraped through into the knockout phase via the last of four spots reserved for the best third-place sides.Thembinkosi Lorch scored the only goal of the last-16 match in the 85th minute to give South Africa a stunning victory.“No decision until this moment. I spoke to the players in the dressing room, and tomorrow (Sunday) will speak with EFA officials,” Aguirre said after the final whistle.“I think the game was open and there were chances for both teams. The only difference was the goal for South Africa,” he added.Share on: WhatsApp South Africa matched Egypt in ball possession, then snatched the winner. PHOTO CAF ONLINECairo, Egypt | AFP | The president of the Egyptian Football Association Hani Abou Rida resigned late Saturday and “sacked” his technical team after the hosts’ shock elimination from the African Cup of Nations.The decision had been “a moral obligation” said the Egyptian FA in a statement after “disappointing Egypt’s supporters” in a 1-0 defeat to South Africa, adding that all board members had been invited to resign.Saturday’s match saw rank outsiders South Africa stun the record seven-time African champions whose line-up included Liverpool star Mohamed Salah and who were among the favourites to win the tournament.Rida had led the Egyptian FA since 2016, in a three-year reign marked by controversy, including a 2018 World Cup fiasco that saw the Pharaohs fail to get out of the group stages after losing all of their matches.The location of the team’s training base in Grozny, the capital of Muslim-majority Chechnya, spurred widespread criticism — especially from human rights groups — over concerns of abuses by Chechen President Ramzan Kadyrov, supported by Russia’s President Vladimir Putin.The federation has also feuded with Salah, the reigning African Footballer of the Year and won the Champions League last month with his club Liverpool, who has accused the body of misusing his image inside the country.Recently the reinstatement of a player who had been banned following sexual harassment charges had provoked further widespread criticism of the Egyptian FA on social media.
Burundi, a tiny, landlocked country bordering Tanzania, were the only African country to continue playing top-flight football during the pandemic.Footballers in Belarus, Nicaragua, Taiwan and Tajikistan also carried on playing while the rest of the global football industry shut down temporarily.Le Messager Ngozi have 58 points and Musongati 55 in a two-club race for the Burundi title with two rounds remaining, which are set for the weekends of June 20/21 and 27/28.Ngozi have won the Primus Ligue once while Musongati, who have also reached the FA Cup final, are seeking a maiden title.Musongati were scheduled to meet Rukinzo in the cup final Saturday but the match was delayed as the country is mourning deceased president Pierre Nkurunziza.Nkurunziza, 55, who had been due to step down in August after ruling Burundi for 15 years, died last Monday from a heart attack, according to the government.A devout evangelical who believed he was chosen by God to lead Burundi, Nkurunziza will be succeeded by Evariste Ndayishimiye.Tanzania played at the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt after a 39-year absence while Burundi competed for the first time.Both the Tanzanian Taifa Stars and the Burundian Swallows exited after the first round having lost their three group matches. Tanzania pose before playing Kenya in a 2019 Africa Cup of Nations group match in Cairo last June.Johannesburg, South Africa | AFP | Tanzania this weekend became the first African country to resume a national league suspended during March because of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.Young Africans, who have been champions a record 22 times, won 1-0 away to Mwadui and Coastal Union overcame a two-goal deficit to draw 2-2 with visiting Namungo Saturday.Runaway leaders Simba and Azam will both enjoy home advantage Sunday in the other two matches scheduled for this weekend.Simba have 71 points with 10 matches to play, Azam and Young Africans share second place on 54 and Namungo lie fourth with 51.Tanzania suspended the 20-club national championship in mid-March as the COVID-19 outbreak began to wreak havoc throughout Africa.According to the Africa Centre for Disease Control on June 13, 225,126 people in Africa have been infected with 6,051 deaths.Spectators were permitted as the league resumed in the east African state, but the elderly, who are generally most vulnerable to the virus, and children were barred.Before being allowed into a stadium, fans must wear a face mask, wash hands with soap or use a hand sanitiser, and have their temperature checked.Once inside, spectators must practice social distancing by sitting or standing several metres apart.Footballers, referees, coaches and support staff are subject to equally strict measures to combat the virus, and change rooms are fumigated before and after matches.– Carried on playing – Share on: WhatsApp
Okeechobee County police have arrested two people after officials found a 24-year-old man’s body in the street early Sunday morning.Sheriff officials said deputies responded to the scene on the 200 block of NE 14 Ave., where they found the body of Tohermain Rosier. Rosier was pronounced dead at the scene but cause of death is still unknown.31-year-old Derrick Levi Clay, and 25-year-old Cheyenne Mackenzie Smith, have been arrested and both face charges.Clay was charged with one count of murder. Smith was charged with one count of accessory after the fact.Officials say the investigation is ongoing.