NewsLocal NewsInquiry severely critical of McManus/Brosnan hospital companyBy admin – August 9, 2012 804 WhatsApp Email Facebook Print Advertisement Previous articleMayor asked to take 50% cutNext article“It’s the stuff dreams are made of” Pat Purcell admin Twitter A PRIVATE hospital, owned by Irish investors including J.P.McManus, Denis Brosnan, Dermot Desmond and John Magnier, where vulnerable patients were allegedly encouraged to commit suicide, “failed to address corporate responsibility’ an inquiry has found. The BBC’s Panorama programme uncovered a litany of abuse at the now closed Winterbourne View hospital in Bristol owned by the Castlebeck company. Eleven former staff are awaiting sentencing having pleaded guilty to charges of beating patients with autism and learning difficulties, dousing them in water and encouraging some to consider suicide.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up According to a report in the Irish Times newspaper, an inquiry by the Serious Case Review has this week found that Castlebeck “appears to have made decisions about profitability, including shareholder returns, over and above decisions about the effective and humane delivery of assessment, treatment and rehabilitation”.“It is clear that at critical points in the wretched history of Winterbourne View, key decisions about priorities were taken by Castlebeck which impaired the ability of the hospital to improve the mental health and physical health and well-being of its patients,” the report continued.Commenting on the matter last year, Denis Brosnan said that the investors had been “shocked and appalled at what happened and determined that this will never happen again”. Linkedin
As The Harvard Campaign demonstrates its early impact across the campus and around the world, the University announced today that $5 billion has been raised in support of this effort.That figure represents more than 300,000 gifts and pledges made to the campaign through the end of last year.“From increasing financial aid to supporting cutting-edge research and creating a campus for the 21st century, we are already seeing that this campaign is having an impact,” said Tamara Elliott Rogers ’74, vice president for alumni affairs and development. “The incredible generosity of our alumni and friends will make a difference for generations to come.”Publicly launched in September 2013, The Harvard Campaign is the first such effort that includes all of Harvard’s Schools. The campaign seeks to shape the future of education with a focus on University aspirations, including advancing new approaches to teaching and learning, attracting and supporting the best students and faculty, creating a campus for the 21st century, and supporting multidisciplinary research.Beyond campus, the campaign has also brought together Harvard communities around the world. The “Your Harvard” series has traveled abroad to London and Mexico City, and visited New York, Los Angeles, and Dallas. Thousands of alumni and friends have joined President Drew Faust to hear her vision for the future of the University and learn about the fields that faculty are exploring.This year’s stops will include Seattle (Feb. 23), Beijing (March 15), and Chicago (May 6), with more to come as the campaign continues in the years ahead.
The novel coronavirus outbreak has exposed a lack of global research on ways to combat the spread of infectious diseases, with health authorities failing to learn lessons from previous flare-ups, experts said Tuesday.The last outbreak of worldwide significance was the SARS virus scare of the early 2000s, which killed 774 people. More recently the Mers virus killed more than 850 people, although the outbreak was largely contained to the Middle East. Although scientists responded to both diseases, formulating treatment plans and eventually vaccines, experts say the new coronavirus epidemic shows there has not been any sustained, coordinated efforts on infectious diseases. “Too often, the surge of research attention and investment that novel outbreaks generate quickly wane when those outbreaks subside and other priorities take their place,” Jason Schwartz, assistant professor at Yale’s Department of Health Policy and Management, told AFP.”SARS and Mers demonstrated the global health threat posed by coronaviruses and the need for a sustained investment in better understanding these viruses with an eye toward prevention and treatment strategies.”Bruno Canard, a virologist at France’s National Centre for Scientific Research, said that some countries, notably European Union members, launched coordinated research programs following SARS.But the financial crisis of 2008 squeezed out funding, he said, lamenting a “scientific world on financial life support.” For Johan Neyts, professor of virology and president of the Belgian-based, International Society for Antiviral Research (ISAR), the world missed a chance after SARS, which is closely related to the new coronavirus.”If we had invested starting in 2003 at the SARS epidemic looking for a medication that would be active against coronas by now we could have had a stockpile that would have been active against this new one,” he told AFP. “We missed an opportunity. It’s a terrorist attack of a virus which we could have prevented, more people are going to die, it’s really a shame.” There are now seven known coronaviruses that are transmissible among humans. Canard said coordinated research could have produced a broad-spectrum treatment against all of them, given their genetically similar profile. Cost ‘peanuts’But to do so scientific efforts would need government funding. Neyts estimated the cost of finding a coronavirus treatment safe to administer at scale to be 250-300 million euros (US$275-325 million).”This is basically peanuts, if you compare that to the human suffering that we seeing now, and also to the economic losses,” he said.As well as funding, medical research also takes time. Years, in fact. And Canard said the world is now reacting against the novel coronavirus from a standing start. “To develop a molecule [against coronaviruses], that takes years,” he said. “You need to have clinical trials and for that you need people who are sick with the virus.”He warned that more coronaviruses are likely to spread among humans in years to come as we continue to destroy the habitats of species that carry the diseases.”We let down our guard and the acceleration of these viruses emergencies is going to be faster and faster due to climate change, biodiversity loss and deforestation,” said Canard. Topics :
Gerrit Cole ‘flattered’ by John Smoltz saying Astros rotation better than ’90s Braves: We have a ways to go Justin Verlander has reached 200 strikeouts this season.He becomes the 7th pitcher in MLB history to record 9 200-K seasons, joining Nolan Ryan (15), Randy Johnson (13), Roger Clemens (12), Tom Seaver (10), Pedro Martínez (9), and Bob Gibson (9). pic.twitter.com/2mz0C1KHRN— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) August 4, 2019Along with Verlander, Nolan Ryan (15), Randy Johnson (13), Roger Clemens (12), Tom Seaver (10), Pedro Martínez (9), and Bob Gibson (9) all have accomplished the feat. Out of these six pitchers, only Clemens isn’t in the MLB Hall of Fame. Related News Out of Verlander’s 15 seasons in the league, nine of them saw him record at least 200 strikeouts. According to ESPN Stats and Info, that makes Verlander the seventh pitcher in MLB history to have nine seasons with 200-plus strikeouts. Chris Sale not optimistic umpire will be held accountable for missed calls: There’s nothing MLB is going to do MLB wrap: Yankees sweep doubleheader as Red Sox team meeting not enough to halt losing streak Justin Verlander joined some elite company Sunday afternoon.The Astros ace was on fire against the Mariners, recording four strikeouts on the day. Those four strikeouts pushed Verlander to 200 strikeouts on the season. Verlander leads active players with the most 200-plus strikeout seasons, as well. Both Max Scherzer and Clayton Kershaw have seven seasons with 200 or more strikeouts.Verlander, 36, has shined this season in an All-Star rotation that features Gerrit Cole and now Zack Greinke. Before Sunday’s game, he had a league-best 14-4 record in 23 starts with an AL-best 2.73 ERA.
Advertisement sgo43NBA Finals | Brooklyn Vs51pudWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre Es8pvp( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) eojWould you ever consider trying this?😱iaCan your students do this? 🌚77fmRoller skating! Powered by Firework End of an era! Spain’s all-time top-scorer David Villa, on Wednesday, announced that he will be retiring from the beautiful game next month. The superstar striker has had a glittering career winning the World Cup, the European Championship and the Champions League, in a journey which started from Sporting Gijon and will terminate at Vissel Kobe. The 37-year-old, in today’s press conference said that after 19 years he will call it a day at the end of the 2019 J-League season.Advertisement Image Courtesy: FIFA.com“I’ve been thinking about this for a long time. This is the result of discussions I had with my family and people around me… I wanted to retire from football, not be forced to retire from football,” he said.“I have decided to end my professional career and that I have decided to retire,” Villa said with his voice occasionally breaking with emotion.Advertisement One of the greatest forwards of his generation, Villa graduated form Sporting Gijon’s youth academy before joining the senior side in 2001. After 38 goals in 80 appearances he joined Real Zaragoza, where he would go on to score 32 in 73 games. Clinical with both his feet, Villa quickly became a household name when he joined Valencia in 2005. In the 5 years of his stay, his attacking prowess grew exponentially when he formed a formidable partnership with compatriots David Silva and Juan Mata; ending up with 108 goals in 166 caps.And that did not go unnoticed, as Villa was an integral part of the Spanish side, that won the Euro 2008 and the 2010 FIFA World Cup. Soon after he was signed by FC Barcelona, a club where he would win two La Liga titles, one Spanish Super Cup, one UEFA Super Cup, one Club World Cup and the most prestigious of them all, the Champions League in 2011. In the final against Manchester United, Villa scored an outrageous 25-yard goal in Barcelona’s 3-1 victory at Wembley Stadium.‘El Guaje’ joined Atletico Madrid for a single season in 2013, won the title, and left for Major League Soccer side New York City FC. His MLS career was similarly successful, as he netted 80 times in 124 appearances. Villa was New York City’s first-ever signing and was the first goal scorer at the Yankee Stadium in their opening home game against New England Revolution.After 5 years in the ‘Big Apple’, Villa decided to join former teammate Andres Iniesta at Vissel Kobe last winter.With 59 goals in 98 games Villa is also Spain’s all-time top-scorer, 15 more than the next name on the list, a certain Raul Gonzalez from Madrid.“Even though I will no longer be on the pitch, I will continue to be involved in football in other ways and will continue to contribute to the football world,” he said.Villa will reportedly become an investor in Queensboro FC, a franchise based in Queens, New York which plays in the second tier of US football.Thank you for the memories El Guaje! Happy retirement!Read Also:Watch : Barcelona players reunite with legends Andres Iniesta and David Villa in Japan Advertisement