Censorship forces BBC to withdraw news show from Pakistani TV

first_img News to go further The BBC announced, on 15 january, that it stopped broadcasting its daily news bulletin, called Sairbeen, on Pakistan’s Aaj TV because of “continued interferences” (photo: BBC – RSF). Voice of America, which also produces a daily Urdu-language news show for AAJ TV, has also reported “occasional disruptions” by the TV channel and “occasional censorship of content within a show without prior warning.” January 28, 2021 Find out more News The “interference” cited by the BBC is a euphemism for AAJ TV’s censorship of certain content because of constant pressure from Pakistan’s political and military establishment. Organisation “We have experienced interference in our news bulletins since October 2020 and gave AAJ TV ample time to return the programme to air,” BBC World Service director James Angus said, adding that any interference constitutes a “serious breach of trust with our audiences.” News April 21, 2021 Find out more “By deciding to terminate its contract with AAJ TV, the BBC has refused to bow to the dictates that the Pakistani authorities impose on the broadcast media,” said Daniel Bastard, the head of RSF’s Asia-Pacific desk. “We call on Prime Minister Imran Khan’s government to stop interfering in the news media’s editorial decisions. Such practices are fundamentally anti-democratic and recall the worst periods of military dictatorship in Pakistan.” Pakistani journalist critical of the military wounded by gunfire January 25, 2021 Censorship forces BBC to withdraw news show from Pakistani TV Follow the news on Pakistan A few days later, three TV news channels were suddenly suspended from cable networks at the behest of the regulatory authorities in reprisal for broadcasting an opposition leader’s news conference. Newscenter_img PakistanAsia – Pacific Condemning abusesMedia independence Conflicts of interestInternetFreedom of expression PakistanAsia – Pacific Condemning abusesMedia independence Conflicts of interestInternetFreedom of expression Help by sharing this information Pakistani supreme court acquits main suspect in Daniel Pearl murder Receive email alerts Pakistan’s regulators don’t hesitate to censor TV news channels when their content fails to reflect the views of the civilian or military authorities. In June 2019, TV screens suddenly went blank during a Geo News interview with a former president because TV cable operators disconnected transmission at the military high command’s behest. Pakistani TV anchor censored after denouncing violence against journalists RSF_en Pakistan is ranked 145th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2020 World Press Freedom Index. For the time being, the BBC’s daily Urdu-language TV news programme can still be viewed online in Pakistan. But a proposal for regulating audiovisual content on the Internet that was published last year (and was the subject of an RSF analysis) poses a grave threat to the future of editorial freedom for online journalistic content. June 2, 2021 Find out more Suspension Reporters Without Borders (RSF) regrets that the BBC has had to stop broadcasting a daily Urdu-language news bulletin on Pakistan’s AAJ TV because of constant “inference” by the Pakistani TV channel, under pressure from the authorities. RSF condemns this brazen censorship and calls on Pakistan’s government to stop meddling in media content. Produced by the BBC’s Urdu Service and broadcast on privately-owned AAJ TV since 2015, the 30-minute daily news programme, called Sairbeen, had been suspended since October. The BBC finally announced on 15 January that it was terminating its contract with the Pakistani TV channel with immediate effect. Dictateslast_img read more

Murder investigation launched in Limerick

first_imgWalk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April Facebook Surgeries and clinic cancellations extended Previous articleFatal Limerick stabbing under investigationNext articleMotorcyclist killed in county Limerick admin Linkedin No vaccines in Limerick yet Advertisement TAGSfeatured First Irish death from Coronavirus Printcenter_img Email NewsBreaking newsMurder investigation launched in LimerickBy admin – November 10, 2013 601 RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR WhatsApp Twitter By Andrew CareyGardai have launched a murder investigation after a 65-year old man was found with stab wounds in an apartment in the city in the early hours of this Sunday morning.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up 22 months after the last unlawful killing in the city, Gardai are now hunting the perpetrator of the latest murder when the man was pronounced dead after 3am when uniformed members arrived at the scene.The victim, known locally as Patrick Redmond from Limerick, was found in a 1st floor apartment with the wounds that led to be fatal.Two apartments were preserved for forensic and technical examinations.A post mortem carried out this Sunday afternoon at the University Limerick hospital and the results have now determined that Gardai are now on a manhunt in this the first murder in the city in almost two years.Originally from Dublin, Mr Redmond had been living in a first floor apartment in The Mount Kennett apartment block for a number of years.The 65-year old father of three is understood to have died after sustaining a single puncture wound to the back.Gardai are now appealing for assistance of the public.Superintendent Daniel Keane is appealing for information and has appealed to anyone who may have witnessed or heard anything to come forward and contact Gardai on 061 212400. Shannondoc operating but only by appointment Proceedures and appointments cancelled again at UHLlast_img read more

USS Midway Hosts Veteran’s Remembrance Ceremony

first_img Dozens paid tribute to honor the legacy and sacrifice of the more than 300,000 lives lost in World War II, during the Veteran’s Wreath Remembrance Ceremony held aboard the USS Midway.The event, hosted by the USS Midway Museum, kicked-off the Midway Legacy Week held May 23 to 25.The museum, housed on the former USS Midway, offers visitors a chance to come aboard the decommissioned aircraft carrier and view various activities, which range from static displays and aircraft restoration to live recordings of veteran oral histories.World War II veterans attended the event and also participated in the wreath ceremony.[mappress mapid=”16062″]Image: US Navy View post tag: americas May 25, 2015 Authorities Share this article View post tag: Navy View post tag: Veteran Back to overview,Home naval-today USS Midway Hosts Veteran’s Remembrance Ceremony center_img View post tag: Remembrance View post tag: News by topic View post tag: Naval View post tag: Ceremony View post tag: USS Midway USS Midway Hosts Veteran’s Remembrance Ceremonylast_img read more

How to get into the Townsville property market

first_imgKeyes & Co principal Damien Keyes. Photo: Fiona Harding.THERE has never been a better time for first-home buyers to get into the market in Townsville with house prices bottoming out and interest rates at record lows.The median house price in Townsville is $340,000 as of the end of April, according to the latest Core Logic figures, 3.5 per cent lower than it was three months earlier.The Reserve Bank put the cash rate on hold at 1.5 per cent as of August 1. Buyers can find even more affordable houses in suburbs like Heatley where the median house price is $239,000, while Thuringowa Central, Garbutt, Wulguru, Condon, Vincent and Currajong all have median house prices under $270,000.REIQ Townsville zone chairman Damien Keyes said first home buyers were often put off by well-meaning but ill-informed advice to stay out of the property market.“Well-meaning friends and relatives who have purchased property will have advice for them but at some point you have to ignore three-quarters of that advice and just jump in,” he said. “Always start with the money and get yourself a good mortgage broker and build that relationship from day one. More from news01:21Buyer demand explodes in Townsville’s 2019 flood-affected suburbs12 Sep 202001:21‘Giant surge’ in new home sales lifts Townsville property market10 Sep 2020Find out what deposit you need, find out how much the loan repayments will be and once you have that nailed down then you can go shopping for a house.”First-home buyers in search of affordability should stay away from suburbs like Castle Hill, where the median house price is $862,5000. North Ward, Rangewood and Belgian Gardens also all have median house prices well over the Townsville average and above $450,000.Mr Keyes said first home buyers shouldn’t be too picky. Many got bogged down by trying to find their dream home.“Don’t let perfect get in the way of getting started,” he said.“A lot of first-home buyers if they can’t have the stone benchtops and the theatre room they won’t jump in. “Get out open homes and see what the prices are doing … just don’t sit on the fence.“Places like Vincent have highset, solid home with a pool for around $270,000.”last_img read more