Limerick Picasso is no fan of castle murals

first_img TAGSCharlie McLeanfeaturedKing John’s CastlemuralMusic LimerickPicassoSmug WhatsApp #SaucySoul: Room 58 – ‘Hate To See You Leave’ NewsLimerick Picasso is no fan of castle muralsBy Guest Writer – August 1, 2013 2652 Email Linkedin Print Celebrating a ground breaking year in music from Limerick No vaccines in Limerick yet King John’s Castle Limerick reopens with new medieval themed outdoor games center_img Facebook Previous articleAoife McLoughlin joins ProtobabyNext articleSearch is on for the students of 1962 Guest Writerhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Mural‘ART, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder’That adage certainly holds true in the case of murals painted near King John’s Castle last week that have caused a conflict of opinion amongst locals.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The murals, commissioned by Limerick City Council, as part of the ‘Make a Move’ festival have been described as ‘totally inappropriate’ by Convent Street resident Charlie McLean (74). “There like something out of a horror comic. The location next to the medieval castle is out-of-place. They wouldn’t put something like that near Buntratty.“If these murals are modern art, then I’m Picasso,” said Mr McLean who has lived in the area all his life.However, Limerick City Councillor and Thomondgate resident Tom Shortt said the murals transform a rough wall on a derelict site into contemporary urban art.“The murals are painted to a high standard. They can be painted over by other artists in years to come and are not permanent, unlike some of the embarrassingly poor quality bronze public sculptures we are stuck with erected in the city in recent years.“I believe that the murals create an appropriate backdrop for City of Culture 2014. This kind of art is an ever-increasing trend and part of an urban landscape,” he said.The murals were painted by Australian born, Glasgow based artist, Smug, who is regarded as one of the most accomplished street artists in the world.Meanwhile, Limerick Arts Office has announced details of the country’s first subsidised living space scheme for artists. An open call has been made to recognised cultural practitioners, including contemporary visual artists, performers, musicians and writers, to apply for the use of six newly-refurbished residential apartments at John’s Square.The Square reopened to the public earlier this year following a €1.5 million redevelopment by Limerick City Council and, according to the local authority, it can now be considered Limerick’s Living Cultural Quarter.For more information see www.limerickcity.ie.  Walk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Twitter Emma Langford shortlisted for RTE Folk Award and playing a LIVE SHOW!!! this Saturday Advertisementlast_img read more

As virus surges, Trump under pressure to adopt mask

first_imgPresident Donald Trump faced mounting bipartisan pressure Sunday to set an example by wearing a face mask, as his health secretary warned the “window is closing” to gain control of an explosion of infections in conservative-led US states.New coronavirus cases have been surging in more than half of US states, reaching record new highs after months of mitigation efforts applied unevenly across the country and sometimes contradictory messaging from the government.Hardest hit have been southern and western states that pushed for early economic reopenings.But the latest upsurge, pushing the nation’s total of declared cases over 2.5 million and its death toll past 125,000, has prompted a growing chorus of calls for much tougher rules and enforcement.”This is a very, very serious situation and the window is closing for us to take action and get this under control,” Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said on CNN. Topics : ‘Long overdue’ Liz Cheney, a member of the House leadership, has tweeted a picture of her father, the former US vice president, wearing a mask under the words: “Dick Cheney says WEAR A MASK #realmenwearmasks”Vice President Mike Pence has sometimes worn masks in public but stopped short of advocating mask-wearing when he chaired the first briefing in two months of the White House coronavirus task force on Friday.Pence travelled Sunday to Texas for a briefing with Governor Abbott on the pandemic response, but has cancelled upcoming events in Arizona and Florida “out of an abundance of caution.”Asked why the administration hasn’t pushed harder for masks, Pence told CBS on Sunday that “we believe that every state has a unique situation” and that “we want to defer to governors” to decide on rules for their own states.Some Democrats want Trump not only to set an example but to mandate mask-wearing nationwide — including Trump’s White House rival Joe Biden who says he would seek to make masks compulsory in public spaces.Asked on ABC if she would support such a move, House speaker Nancy Pelosi called it “definitely long overdue. “We have the worst record of any country in the world. And the president says we’re making progress.”She added, “The president should be an example. Real men wear masks. Be an example to the country and wear the mask.”  ‘A unique position’ Azar was asked why Trump has refused to set an example by wearing a protective mask in public — even when standing next to mask-wearing health advisors — and reiterated the White House explanation that the president is tested daily and is “in a unique position” as a world leader.But many Republicans who are normally reluctant to criticize the president have been calling more insistently for mask use, with some urging a clearer example from the nation’s leader. “If wearing masks is important, and all the health experts tell us that it is… it would help if from time to time the president would wear one to help us get rid of this political debate that says if you’re for Trump, you don’t wear a mask, if you’re against Trump, you do,” Republican Senator Lamar Alexander said Sunday on CNN.In some areas, mask-wearing has taken on a political edge rather than being seen as a straightforward health choice.Among Republicans calling strongly for mask-wearing are Senator Marco Rubio of Florida — which has set daily records of new COVID-19 cases; Senate leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky; and Governor Greg Abbott of Texas, another state that has seen a major uptick in cases after moving aggressively to reopen its economy.In Phoenix, Governor Doug Ducey wore a mask on Thursday when he warned fellow Arizonans that “we are getting hit hard right now.” The best defense against COVID-19, he told local media, is to wear protective masks.last_img read more

GAA NOTES: NAOMH BRID

first_imgBoth our Seniors and Reserves were defeated on the road on Sunday afternoon against Strabane Sigersons. In the Reserve game an early Strabane goal set them on their way to victory but the lads can take some positives from the game as it was only their first outing of the season. In the senior game, Strabane led 8-4 at half time with the aid of a stiff breeze. The boys put up a great second half fight against the only unbeaten side in the competition but unfortunately ended up on the wrong side of an 0-11 to 0-7 scoreline. The seniors play St.Josephs from Glenavy, Co.Antrim this Saturday in Ballyshannon at 3pm in their final Ulster Intermediate League match. There is a possibility of a reserve match but it is yet to be confirmed.Well done to Calum Gallagher who lined out for the Donegal Minors in a challenge match against Longford last weekend.Good luck to David Walsh and the county team this weekend in their NFL match against Cork in Ballybofey. The Ladies are hosting their AGM this Friday at 7pm in the Pettigo clubhouse. All persons are welcome to attend. Training for the ladies continues on Wednesday at 6.45pm in the Lakeside Astroturf in Ballyshannon.There will be a foundation coaching course taking place in the near future at a local venue yet to be confirmed. All persons interested in taking part should forward their name to Matt Gallagher.GAA NOTES: NAOMH BRID was last modified: February 28th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:NAOMH BRID GAA NOTESlast_img read more

South African banks go mobile

first_img5 April 2012 South Africa already has one of the world’s highest mobile banking user rates, and this is set to accelerate, thanks to a 100% mobile phone penetration rate and an innovative banking sector that is pushing hard to reach a large, still unbanked segment of the country’s population. In an interview with local paper Business Day this week, the CEO of First National Bank’s (FNB’s) Cellphone Banking Solutions, Ravesh Ramlakan, said the mobile phone was the future of retail banking in South Africa. Ramlakan told Business Day that the increasing convergence between cellphone and banking technology for communication, shopping and banking meant the days of customers using their branch for their banking needs were numbered.Rapid uptake by previously unbanked Business Day quoted a recent survey by professional services company KPMG which found that consumers in countries with large unbanked populations were adopting mobile payments as a quick and reliable way to transfer money. “The success story most commonly referred to was the M-Pesa money transfer service launched in Kenya by cellphone company Safaricom, which in South Africa has been copied by Nedbank in partnership with Vodacom,” Business Day reported. Last month, in an interview with the same paper, Peter Schlebusch, personal and business banking CE for South Africa’s second-largest retail bank, Standard Bank, predicted that the country’s banking sector would gain an extra 8-million previously unbanked customers over the next five years. The government has been pushing the banks to widen financial inclusion among poorer South Africans, and the banks have responded by developing various least-cost models to provide services to customers with low and irregular incomes. But whatever the model, the mobile phone is increasingly the implementation tool of choice, especially when it comes to reaching people in remote areas where it is not viable to build a branch.Nebank’s M-PESA solution Early in 2010, Nedbank and mobile operator Vodacom teamed up to launch M-PESA, a solution that enables person-to-person money transfers via mobile phone – even between people without bank accounts. This followed hot on the heels of the launch of a similar product, dubbed Instant Money, by Standard Bank and local retailer Spar. Like Instant Money, M-PESA enables customers, regardless of whether they have bank accounts, to transfer money from person to person using their mobile phones.FNB’s eWallet First National Bank got in even earlier, launching its “eWallet” mobile money transfer solution in 2009. This week, FNB said that one-million eWallets had been created, and over R1.6-billion paid into them, since launch. The eWallet allows FNB customers to send money to anyone in South Africa with a valid mobile phone number. Funds can be transferred instantly, and the recipient receives a text message indicating that funds have been sent to their cellphone. eWallet allows payments to be made into accounts held at all major South African banks, and to nominated beneficiaries, including municipalities and major retail stores. “eWallet is more than just a money transfer solution,” Yolande van Wyk, CEO of FNB eWallet Solutions, said in a statement on Monday. “The recipient is able to withdraw cash at FNB ATMs, buy pre-paid airtime or electricity, send money to another cellphone, purchase and/or get cash at selected retailers, as well as make once-off payments. “We have seen year-on-year eWallet growth of 143% since January 2011,” Van Wyk said. “Average daily ‘send’ values are in excess of R3-million, double the figures we saw a year ago.” The majority of the funds sent to eWallets originate from metropolitan hubs, and are then accessed across the country, often in small towns such as Giyani in Limpopo province and Ngcobo in Eastern Cape.Mobile innovation award nomination Meanwhile, earlier this year, local mobile services company Oltio was nominated in the “best mobile money innovation” category at the annual GSMA Global Mobile Awards for its payD platform, which turns a user’s mobile phone into a remote point-of-sale device. Oltio is a joint venture company between pan-African mobile network operator MTN and Standard Bank. Through the payD platform, launched in August, consumers can purchase products and services online and use their debit cards to pay for the purchase while making use of their mobile phones to enter their PINs. And in December, Absa Bank conducted South Africa’s first live user trial of Near Field Communication (NFC) technology on mobile phones, partnering with Mastercard to embed the Paypass Tap and Go payment chip on mobile handsets for the trial. This enabled participants to load funds onto their phones through the Absa website or ATMs, and then to pay for goods or services by merely holding their phones in front of NFC-enabled pay points, with the value of their transactions being instantly debited from their stored value.Southern African region The above examples illustrate, but hardly exhaust, the mobile options currently being developed and expanded by South Africa’s banks – and applied not only locally. First National Bank, for one, has seen a huge uptake in its mobile money solutions by customers of its African operations, with cellphone banking transactions growing 150% and eWallet transactions surging by 1 384% year-on-year in December 2011. In February, the bank said that its customers in Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia, Swaziland and Zambia conducted 2.4-million cellphone banking transactions to the value of R214-million during December last year, up from R986 000 recorded in December 2010. Botswana, which is FNB’s leading subsidiary outside South Africa in terms of cellphone banking activity, saw just over 1.3-million transactions and, in the same month, recorded a 126% increase year-on-year. Namibia recorded year-on-year growth of 155%, Zambia 308% and Swaziland 227%. “Innovation has played a key role in growing cellphone banking across Africa,” FNB’s Ravesh Ramlakan said, adding: “Our ability to adapt the service for use on any cellphone has been an important driver of this growth.” SAinfo reporterlast_img read more

Stevie Nicks Rocks Elton Johns Enduring Vision Event

first_imgAs part of the evening’s program, EJAF Founder Sir Elton John and Chairman David Furnish presented Enduring Vision awards to three outstanding Foundation supporters. Robert Kraft has been a loyal and generous supporter of the Foundation for many years, both personally and through the Robert and Myra Kraft Family Foundation. As Chairman, CEO, and Founder of Neuro, and as a private philanthropist, Diana Jenkins has been a wonderful patron of EJAF’s work and events in the U.S. and in the U.K. Likewise, Joseph Blount has also been an ardent benefactor to the Foundation since its inception.CNN journalist and New York Times best-selling author Anderson Cooper hosted the gala dinner for a sixth consecutive year, and legendary singer Stevie Nicks performed. Also, Jamie Niven of Sotheby’s conducted a live auction featuring such one-of-a-kind items as a Jean-Philippe Delhomme portrait; “Big Bear,” the largest canvas from Matthew Brandt’s Lakes and Reservoirs series; two Andy Warhol Cow screenprints; lunch for two with Anderson Cooper; two best-in-house seats and backstage passes to Alec Baldwin’s Broadway performance of Lyle Kessler’s Orphans; and a week-long stay for up to 16 people at the Castello di Santa Eurasia in Italy. 

“The AIDS disease is caused by a virus, but the AIDS epidemic is not. The AIDS epidemic is fueled by stigma, by hate, by misinformation, by ignorance, by indifference. Science has accomplished miracles over the past 20 years, and science can now end this disease – but it cannot end the epidemic. We need more than medicine,” stated Sir Elton John in his keynote speech. “We can do something about these things. We need to speak out about the changes we need to make in our society. We have spoken out. And we will continue to speak out.”

Through the impeccable credibility and reputation attained based on 20 years of extensive work, EJAF has emerged as a significant leader in the field of AIDS. The Foundation advances public dialogue on critical and controversial issues related to the epidemic and challenges misguided policies and attitudes that block progress in HIV prevention. Proceeds from An Enduring Vision will help support these efforts, as well as EJAF’s grant-making initiatives across the U.S., the Caribbean, and the Americas.Photos from the event can be found here.Source:PR Newswire On Monday, October 15, Sir Elton John continued his humanitarian efforts to raise money for HIV/AIDS prevention, treatment, and awareness programs across the United States, the Americas, and the Caribbean at the Elton John AIDS Foundation (EJAF)’s 11th annual benefit An Enduring Vision held at Cipriani Wall Street (55 Wall Street).American Airlines, The Kraft Group, and Wells Fargo served as the Presenting Sponsors of the benefit, and the star-studded evening raised $2 million for the Foundation.last_img read more

ICAP To Hold Annual Charity Day Today

first_imgICAP plc, a leading markets operator and provider of post trade risk mitigation and information services, announces that the 23rd annual global Charity Day will be held on Wednesday, December 9, 2015.On this day, 100% of ICAP’s revenues and commissions generated globally will be donated to more than 200 charities worldwide.Since Charity Day was launched in December 1993, ICAP has raised more than $189 million for 1,800 charities worldwide. In 2014 alone, $12.5 million was raised by ICAP’s 60 plus offices, for 200 charitable projects. This is equivalent to 3% of ICAP’s full year pre-tax profit for 2014/2015.This year, Charity Day will again be raising funds for another 200 charities globally, of which approximately 50 are supported from the US effort. On the day, many of these charities will be joined by their celebrity patrons who will speak directly to ICAP’s customers on the phone to close deals, boosting trading volumes in the process.For 2015, Hope for a Healthier Humanity, Big Brothers Big Sisters, ALS Association, and United Way are some of the charities supported in the US by ICAP. In the past, Oprah Winfrey, President George W. Bush, Meryl Streep, Eli Manning, Daniel Craig and many other distinguished guests have attended to lend their support to ICAP and its charities.Michael Spencer, Group Chief Executive Officer of ICAP, said: “This year is ICAP’s 23rd annual Charity Day. From our modest beginnings in 1993 when we had 100 employees, this event has grown to become a truly global fundraising event, of which we are extremely proud. This year, we will be supporting a further 200 extraordinary charities, all of whom are in need of funds to develop vital, life-changing projects which will make a difference to thousands of lives. We are dedicated to raising as much as we can for our charities on December 9 and are extremely grateful to our employees, customers and suppliers for their ongoing and generous support. Together we will all give 100%.”last_img read more