Kingston College (KC) standout sprinter, Jhevaughn Matherson, one of the athletes on whom KC’s ISSA/GraceKennedy Boys and Girls’ Athletics Championships title ambitions to dethrone Calabar High School rests, is looking to clock fast times and help his school win the championship next month.Matherson has personal bests of 10.37 in the 100 metres and 20.97 over 200 metres.There was agony for KC last year when he aggravated an injury which forced him out of the Class Two boys’ 200m, as they eventually slumped to a 15.5-point loss to Calabar.This year, however, the athlete maintains he is eyeing nothing less than glory.”I know I am a champion, so it’s just my competitive drive that is my motivation,” he said.”There is always going to be major expectations, but season after season it gets better handling them. The main aim is to break 21.00 seconds in the 200m and go low 10 seconds in the 100m, 10.10 if possible, that’s the aim right now,” he assured in an interview.A fight for bragging rights and the prestigious Mortimer Geddes Trophy will again ensue from March 15-19 between four-time consecutive champions Calabar High and their bitter rivals KC inside the National Stadium.The Purples have won the title 31 times, Calabar High 24 and Jamaica College third with 21 titles.BETTING ON HIS TEAM”Calabar are incredible competitors, but I have to go with my school for this one. You can’t count out yourself,” stressed Matherson.He recently sizzled with a smooth 21.69 on return from injury in the Class One boys’ 200m at the Queens/Grace Jackson meet at the National Stadium.Many are contending that the Red Hills Road-based institution will cop title number 25 this year, but the sprinter says his school will be coming all out to stop them.”We are all confident, we think we can get it this year (win Champs), we are just motivating the younger guys and see if they can repeat what we the seniors do,” he outlined.The KC star stressed that people can expect “medals and possibly records”.
Gardaí in Donegal are concerned about the increase in drink and drug driving cases in the county, which is one of the leading causes of fatal collisions.Ten people were arrested in Donegal last weekend for driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Ten arrests were also made the weekend before last.Gardaí have found a year-on-year increase in detections, with 416 arrests made between September 2018 and August 2019 – up 80 from the previous year. Garda Inspector Michael Harrison said the figures are very worrying:“We are extremely worried by the high level of detections in drink and drug driving. We would just ask people to obey the rules of the road, not to be drinking and driving. It is one of the leading contributors to fatal and serious injury collisions.”Inspector Harrison told Donegal Daily there is no known reason for the recent rise in cases.“The high level of detection and increase of detections in Donegal, from a Garda Síochána point of view, is very worrying. “We don’t know why it’s happening. The level of personnel that we have out there is the same, the level of checkpoints is the same, but for some reason or other people aren’t listening to the message about drinking and driving and we’d ask them just not to do it.” Worry over inexplicable rise in drink and drug driving was last modified: October 10th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Qatar is about to lose the world’s longest route to Singapore Airlines: photo: Qatar. Capital cities in Ireland and Australia as well as the party towns of Las Vegas and Rio de Janeiro are among the new destinations targeted by Middle Eastern carrier Qatar as it continues its aggressive expansion in 2017-18.The airline announced this week it would add eight new international destinations to the seven it previously announced on its fast-growing network which already includes more than 150 destinations in six continents.The newly announced ports are: the Australian capital of Canberra; Dublin, Ireland; Las Vegas; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; Santiago, Chile; Medan, Kualanamu International Airport, Indonesia; and Tabuk and Yanbu, the 9th and 10th destinations in Saudi Arabia.Canberra is the airline’s fifth destination in Australia and only the second international service for the city after Singapore Airlines started its Singapore-Canberra-Wellington “Capital Express” service this year.Las Vegas is the Gulf carrier’s 11th US destination while Medan is its third in Indonesia.The previously announced destinations for 2017-18 include the world’s longest commercial flight between Doha and New Zealand, scheduled to start February 5 as well as flights to Europe, Thailand and Africa.“With today’s network announcement, we will be able to connect more people to more places than any other Gulf airline, and we will ensure our passengers will delight in the journey,’’Qatar group chief executive Akbar Al Baker said in a statement.Qatar Airways, which has opened 12 new destinations so far in 2016, is a member of the oneworld alliance and competes against fellow gulf juggernauts Abu Dhabi-based Etihad and Dubai-based Emirates.It prides itself on a young fleet of 191 aircraft that includes Boeing 777 and 787 Dreamliner aircraft as well as wide range of Airbus aircraft. It was the global launch customer for the Airbus A350.
DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew San Miguel Beer turns cold in Game 1 as Magnolia clamps down on defense Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting “I think it’s more about getting my rhythm, it’s really my injury that’s affecting me because I feel good. I was out 12 days, almost two weeks since I last played long minutes so I’m just trying to get my rhythm,” he said. “I’m gonna bounce back on Game 2.”“He had an off night but I know will be back,” said SMB head coach Leo Austria, who rued his team’s poor shot selection in the loss.The Beermen shot just 37 percent from the field, including 9-of-36 from downtown.ADVERTISEMENT PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess LATEST STORIES Duterte wants probe of SEA Games mess MANILA, Philippines—San Miguel Beer sniper Marcio Lassiter returned from a back injury just in time for Game 1 of the PBA Philippine Cup Finals against Magnolia Wednesday night.ADVERTISEMENT Philippine Arena Interchange inaugurated SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassles Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Hontiveros presses for security audit of national power grid MOST READ But his shooting hasn’t. At least not yet.Although his back is fine, Lassiter admitted that he’s still groping for form due to the long layoff.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logistics“My back is good. [The pain] is something that I had from the previous games but I feel a lot better. I’m just gonna get my rhythm going for the next games,” Lassiter told reporters after a 99-94 loss.The 31-year-old Lassiter, who played 32 minutes, went scoreless after missing all of his eight shots, including the potential game-tying triple in the last 20 seconds of the game. Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next View comments