News to go further The BBC announced, on 15 january, that it stopped broadcasting its daily news bulletin, called Sairbeen, on Pakistan’s Aaj TV because of “continued interferences” (photo: BBC – RSF). Voice of America, which also produces a daily Urdu-language news show for AAJ TV, has also reported “occasional disruptions” by the TV channel and “occasional censorship of content within a show without prior warning.” January 28, 2021 Find out more News The “interference” cited by the BBC is a euphemism for AAJ TV’s censorship of certain content because of constant pressure from Pakistan’s political and military establishment. Organisation “We have experienced interference in our news bulletins since October 2020 and gave AAJ TV ample time to return the programme to air,” BBC World Service director James Angus said, adding that any interference constitutes a “serious breach of trust with our audiences.” News April 21, 2021 Find out more “By deciding to terminate its contract with AAJ TV, the BBC has refused to bow to the dictates that the Pakistani authorities impose on the broadcast media,” said Daniel Bastard, the head of RSF’s Asia-Pacific desk. “We call on Prime Minister Imran Khan’s government to stop interfering in the news media’s editorial decisions. Such practices are fundamentally anti-democratic and recall the worst periods of military dictatorship in Pakistan.” Pakistani journalist critical of the military wounded by gunfire January 25, 2021 Censorship forces BBC to withdraw news show from Pakistani TV Follow the news on Pakistan A few days later, three TV news channels were suddenly suspended from cable networks at the behest of the regulatory authorities in reprisal for broadcasting an opposition leader’s news conference. News PakistanAsia – Pacific Condemning abusesMedia independence Conflicts of interestInternetFreedom of expression PakistanAsia – Pacific Condemning abusesMedia independence Conflicts of interestInternetFreedom of expression Help by sharing this information Pakistani supreme court acquits main suspect in Daniel Pearl murder Receive email alerts Pakistan’s regulators don’t hesitate to censor TV news channels when their content fails to reflect the views of the civilian or military authorities. In June 2019, TV screens suddenly went blank during a Geo News interview with a former president because TV cable operators disconnected transmission at the military high command’s behest. Pakistani TV anchor censored after denouncing violence against journalists RSF_en Pakistan is ranked 145th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2020 World Press Freedom Index. For the time being, the BBC’s daily Urdu-language TV news programme can still be viewed online in Pakistan. But a proposal for regulating audiovisual content on the Internet that was published last year (and was the subject of an RSF analysis) poses a grave threat to the future of editorial freedom for online journalistic content. June 2, 2021 Find out more Suspension Reporters Without Borders (RSF) regrets that the BBC has had to stop broadcasting a daily Urdu-language news bulletin on Pakistan’s AAJ TV because of constant “inference” by the Pakistani TV channel, under pressure from the authorities. RSF condemns this brazen censorship and calls on Pakistan’s government to stop meddling in media content. Produced by the BBC’s Urdu Service and broadcast on privately-owned AAJ TV since 2015, the 30-minute daily news programme, called Sairbeen, had been suspended since October. The BBC finally announced on 15 January that it was terminating its contract with the Pakistani TV channel with immediate effect. Dictates
NewsLocal NewsFormer garda abused disabled young boysBy admin – December 31, 2012 1009 Twitter WhatsApp Print Linkedin Previous articleAirport strike unlikelyNext articleLimerick home helps welcome cut reversal admin Facebook Advertisement Email A FORMER Garda and scout master abused young boys when he was in charge of a special scout troop for disabled children, Limerick Circuit Court has been told. John Joseph (Jack) Dunne, formerly based at Pearse Street Garda Station in Dublin pleaded guilty to 14 counts of indecent assault on young boys in Dublin on dates unknown between 1963 and 1969.The court heard that two of Dunne’s victims were polio sufferers whom he contacted through his work with a group of disabled scouts.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The now 82-year-old, who lives at Cannon Breen Park, Thomondgate, Limerick, indecently assaulted two of his victims at Pearse Street Garda Station, where he worked as Juvenile Liason Officer, while other indecent assaults took place at scout camps in Dublin and Waterford, and in his car after he dropped the boys home from scout meetings.In his evidence Sargent Martin Philips from the National Bureau of Criminal Investigation in Harcourt Square, Dublin, said Dunne resigned from the force in 1976 when he was the subject of allegation of indecency but no charges were brought.A native of Limerick city, Dunne was a Scout Master from 1953 to 1976 and involved with a special group for disabled children at a scout hall near Pearse Street which was then known as Westland Row.Judge Carroll Moran was told the sexual abuse first came to light after the publication of the Ryan Report in 2009 when one of Dunne’s victim’s contacted gardai.In his victim impact statement, the now 58-year-old, who contracted polio when he was six months old, recalled how he met Dunne while on a train to Knock with the Polio Fellowship of Ireland.He said the former Garda was the scout leader with a group of disabled scouts from Dublin and he invited the ten-year-old to join the troop when they got back to Dublin.The victim, who is confined to a wheelchair for the past four years, said he was first abused during an overnight stay in the scout den, when Dunne put his hand down his pyjamas and started touching his private parts.The victim also recalled incidents of abuse where he was kissed and fondled by the former Garda during a trip to the cinema and on another occasion in the Phoenix Park when Dunne gave him a lift home from the scouts.“Jack Dunne was in a position of trust; he was a Scout Leader; a Garda and a person of power. He abused that power and hid behind his so-called good works. I now see him as a bad person who used that trust and his position to gain access to young boys,” the victim said.Another victim, who is now aged 56, told the court that he met Dunne when he was hospitalised for polio which he contracted when he was two years old.In his victim impact statement, he called the former Garda a paedophile and claimed Dunne had visited a particular ward at a children’s hospital in Dublin “especially to recruit new victims”.He said he was abused by Dunne in his car just a short distance from his home in Dublin, and also in Pearse Street Garda Station as well as at the annual scout camp.“He had free access everywhere he went; nobody questioned his word. He was seen as the good garda looking after the poor little handicapped kids,” he said.The court heard Dunne met his two other victims, two brothers from Dublin, at a swimming gala organised by the scouts.Dunne brought one of the boys to play snooker in a room on the top of Pearse Street Garda Station and cooked him a fry and then put his hand down his pants and fondled his penis.Defence Counsel Mark Nicholas (BL) said his client’s behaviour was “disgraceful and unforgiveable” but said Dunne, who joined a religious order after he left the Gardai, had sought help for his problems in America twenty years ago.The court heard he joined the Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament in 1977 and, following advice from his superiors, went to seek help for his problems at Trinity House in Chicago in 1992.Mr Nicholas said the abuse involving the four victims had come to light as a “downstream effect of the Ryan Report “ when people got the strength to come forward. He said that his client had made early admissions of guilt.Judge Moran was told Dunne had one previous conviction for indecent assault on a 12-year-old boy in 1986 for which he received the Probation Act.The Judge said it was a difficult case with a lot to consider and adjourned sentencing until January 18.
Despite that, Lampard insists the situation is in his players’ hands and they are not affected by the fate of Manchester City.‘I was pretty neutral on it, I just listened to the verdict this morning,’ he said at his pre-Norwich press conference yesterday.‘I genuinely don’t see beyond the games in hand, we have a few games and we want to win them and see if it gets us Champions League football. I was never pinning my hopes on [the verdict]. If we win enough games, we can get in.‘We’re sitting third, it’s in our hands. I wouldn’t have liked the players to have thought, “oh there’s an extra place, we can relax a little bit.”‘Chelsea go into their next game against Norwich tonight following a worrying 3-0 defeat against Sheffield United at the weekend.Lampard’s side were soundly beaten at Bramall Lane, with David McGoldrick netting a brace for the unlikely Europa League chasers.Against Norwich, the Blues will once again be without Ngolo Kante, but Andreas Christensen returns for selection.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Chelsea Manager, Frank Lampard insists the decision to overturn Manchester City’s two-year Champions League ban will not affect his Chelsea players in their final three games of the Premier League season.The Blues are currently third in the table but face a hard-fought battle with the likes of Manchester United, Leicester and Wolves for the final top-four place.If City’s ban had been upheld, fifth place would have been good enough for Europe’s premier competition next season, but now Chelsea need fourth.