Kingston College (KC) standout sprinter, Jhevaughn Matherson, one of the athletes on whom KC’s ISSA/GraceKennedy Boys and Girls’ Athletics Championships title ambitions to dethrone Calabar High School rests, is looking to clock fast times and help his school win the championship next month.Matherson has personal bests of 10.37 in the 100 metres and 20.97 over 200 metres.There was agony for KC last year when he aggravated an injury which forced him out of the Class Two boys’ 200m, as they eventually slumped to a 15.5-point loss to Calabar.This year, however, the athlete maintains he is eyeing nothing less than glory.”I know I am a champion, so it’s just my competitive drive that is my motivation,” he said.”There is always going to be major expectations, but season after season it gets better handling them. The main aim is to break 21.00 seconds in the 200m and go low 10 seconds in the 100m, 10.10 if possible, that’s the aim right now,” he assured in an interview.A fight for bragging rights and the prestigious Mortimer Geddes Trophy will again ensue from March 15-19 between four-time consecutive champions Calabar High and their bitter rivals KC inside the National Stadium.The Purples have won the title 31 times, Calabar High 24 and Jamaica College third with 21 titles.BETTING ON HIS TEAM”Calabar are incredible competitors, but I have to go with my school for this one. You can’t count out yourself,” stressed Matherson.He recently sizzled with a smooth 21.69 on return from injury in the Class One boys’ 200m at the Queens/Grace Jackson meet at the National Stadium.Many are contending that the Red Hills Road-based institution will cop title number 25 this year, but the sprinter says his school will be coming all out to stop them.”We are all confident, we think we can get it this year (win Champs), we are just motivating the younger guys and see if they can repeat what we the seniors do,” he outlined.The KC star stressed that people can expect “medals and possibly records”.
Advertisement Video producer Michael Rizzi, who’s based in Toronto, says he’s concerned with the message it sends to loyal YouTube users. He’s seen 176 of his 236 videos disappear in “restricted” mode, representing 75 per cent of the clips he’s uploaded over the past five years.Rizzi says he wished Google’s YouTube executives would’ve been more transparent about the problem. Instead, they appeared to sit back as YouTubers made the hashtag #YouTubeIsOverParty a trending topic on Twitter over the weekend.“It’s more a feeling of being pushed to the side,” Rizzi says. “It’s a pretty big screw-up on their end.”In an emailed statement on Monday, YouTube acknowledged the filter saying “some videos that cover subjects like health, politics and sexuality may not appear for users and institutions that choose to use this feature.”YouTube added that “some videos are incorrectly labelled by our automated system and we realize it’s very important to get this right.”“We’re working hard to make some improvements,” the company said without offering further details.The lack of information has left YouTubers struggling to figure out what’s being sifted out, what isn’t and why it’s happening.Rizzi suspects video tags like “LGBT” or “gay couple” may be triggering the filter for “7 Things I Love About My Boyfriend,” a video he says shouldn’t be restricted for a younger audience.Even his clip commissioned for YouTube’s #ProudToBe campaign, timed to last year’s Pride Month, is now filtered out.“YouTube’s own equality campaign is restricted, which is probably the weirdest part of everything,” Rizzi says.Toronto-based transgender YouTuber Stef Sanjati also had 48 of her videos blocked as of Monday, including clips discussing transgender student bathrooms and makeup tutorials. Advertisement Advertisement “It sends a bad message to young gay kids and young trans kids that their lives are not normal or acceptable.”At issue is YouTube’s “restricted” designation, which lets parents, schools and libraries filter out content that may be considered inappropriate for users under 18. YouTube calls it “an optional feature used by a very small subset of users.”It’s unclear whether the types of videos in question are being categorized as “restricted” for the first time, or if the filtering is only now getting attention. Facebook Twitter Login/Register With: LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment A chorus of Canadian LGBTQ YouTubers, including pop duo Tegan and Sara, is calling for the video service to stop filtering out gay and trans-themed videos for some users.The Calgary-raised sisters took to social media to question why YouTube’s “restricted” setting appears to block a wide variety of LGBTQ-friendly content for no clear reason.“If you put YouTube on restricted mode a bunch of our music videos disappear. I checked myself. LGBTQ people shouldn’t be restricted. SAD!” Tegan and Sara tweeted. Among the missing clips were music videos from their latest album, including for “That Girl” and “U-turn.” They were joined by Halifax singer Ria Mae, who said her video for “Gold,” which features the singer in a lesbian relationship, was also being filtered out.“Young gay kids need to see themselves represented and they need to know it’s normal, it’s OK and it’s not X-rated,” Mae posted in a video on her Instagram account.
[Representational Image]twitterThe California earthquake that happened on July 05, 2019, was an absolute shocker, and it made many people believe that the so-called ‘Ring of Fire’ is ripe for a major quake. Interestingly, Frank Hoogerbeets, a self-proclaimed Dutch seismic researcher had predicted the California quakes days before its occurrence, and he blamed planetary alignments for this rise in seismic activities.Now, Frank Hoogerbeets has once again made a shocking prediction, and he has claimed that a powerful earthquake will hit the planet today, July 27, 2019. As per Hoogerbeets, Earth’s alignment with Venus and Mercury will be the reason behind the trigger of seismic activity.”Earth’s alignment with Venus and Mercury early on the 25th may trigger larger seismic activity from the 25th to the 27th,” wrote Hoogerbeets on his website Ditrianum.As July 25th and 26th went uneventfully, followers of Hoogerbeets strongly believe that a powerful quake will happen on 27th of this month causing massive devastation in the affected area. However, Hoogerbeets has not revealed the exact place in which the earthquake could hit today. Hoogerbeets on his website has revealed that he is not a part of any conspiracy theory group, and the researcher made it clear that he wishes to provide impartial information about future earthquakes.”We are not part of any conspiracy theory group. We are not against anyone or anything. We provide information in an impartial manner about the seismic effects from specific planetary and lunar geometry,” says Hoogerbeets. The Dutch researcher also added that he is making these predictions using an advanced system named SSGI (Solar System Geometry Index). Hoogerbeets believe that electromagnetic force during the time of planetary alignments and lunar geometry will destabilize the tectonic plates on earth, thus causing earthquakes in the planet.However, seismic scientists are not convinced, and they claim that Hoogerbeets is making these predictions just for the sake of money and fame. As per seismic experts, no modern technology could predict earthquakes with precision.
A flood affected villager wades next to his bicycle through a submerged road at the flood affected Morigoan district, in India’s the northeastern state of Assam on 15 August, 2017. Photo: AFPAt least 221 people have died and more than 1.5 million have been displaced by monsoon flooding across India, Nepal and Bangladesh, officials said Tuesday, as rescuers scoured submerged villages for the missing.In Nepal, severe flooding has left tens of thousands of homes totally underwater in the populous southern lowlands, with nearly 20 percent of the population affected.“As per the data we have received so far, 111 have been killed, 35 are still missing and a search operation is underway,” Home Minister Janardan Sharma told parliament Tuesday.A third of neighbouring Bangladesh is flooded, with at least 29 dead as relentless monsoon rains pound the densely-populated riverine country.“Another 1.5 million people have been marooned,” Reaz Ahmed, head of Bangladesh’s disaster management department told AFP.Almost 1,200 shelters have been erected across Bangladesh, while the army has been deployed to reinforce weakened river embankments and to assist with search and rescue operations.In the border district of Lalmonirhat, roughly 600 Indian nationals took shelter in Bangladeshi villages along with their stricken livestock, the district’s government administrator Shafiul Atif told AFP.India has also suffered from torrential downpours and flash flooding, worsening a monsoon that has already claimed lives.At least 81 people have died in the eastern states of Bihar and West Bengal, and northeastern Assam state, over the last few days, a government official told AFP on Tuesday.Train services have been cut entirely to the northeast, and at least 200,000 people are living in emergency camps in Assam, a remote state that suffers frequent flooding during the annual rains.‘Suffering for decades’ -In Nepal, residents in hard-hit Saptari district blamed the government for failing to solve the seasonal floods and quickly send aid to those in need.“Many have lost their homes. Families don’t have food or shelter. We are just helping each other,” said local resident Pankaj Mishra.“What we need is for the government to solve this problem. We have been suffering for decades every year. The river troubles us every year.”Kathmandu has been criticised for enacting a “one-door” policy requiring all aid for flood victims to flow through a government-run central disaster agency.The diktat threatens to delay the delivery of relief supplies say volunteers and aid agencies, which have warned Nepal faces a humanitarian crisis if food and water does not reach the worst-affected areas.“Unless there is an effective model of rescue and relief operation, one-door policy will only kill or aggravate the situation,” said local volunteer Arpan Shrestha.Chinese Vice Premier Wang Yang on Tuesday pledged $1 million in flood assistance to Nepal during a four-day visit to Kathmandu.