Kingston College (KC) standout sprinter, Jhevaughn Matherson, one of the athletes on whom KC’s ISSA/GraceKennedy Boys and Girls’ Athletics Championships title ambitions to dethrone Calabar High School rests, is looking to clock fast times and help his school win the championship next month.Matherson has personal bests of 10.37 in the 100 metres and 20.97 over 200 metres.There was agony for KC last year when he aggravated an injury which forced him out of the Class Two boys’ 200m, as they eventually slumped to a 15.5-point loss to Calabar.This year, however, the athlete maintains he is eyeing nothing less than glory.”I know I am a champion, so it’s just my competitive drive that is my motivation,” he said.”There is always going to be major expectations, but season after season it gets better handling them. The main aim is to break 21.00 seconds in the 200m and go low 10 seconds in the 100m, 10.10 if possible, that’s the aim right now,” he assured in an interview.A fight for bragging rights and the prestigious Mortimer Geddes Trophy will again ensue from March 15-19 between four-time consecutive champions Calabar High and their bitter rivals KC inside the National Stadium.The Purples have won the title 31 times, Calabar High 24 and Jamaica College third with 21 titles.BETTING ON HIS TEAM”Calabar are incredible competitors, but I have to go with my school for this one. You can’t count out yourself,” stressed Matherson.He recently sizzled with a smooth 21.69 on return from injury in the Class One boys’ 200m at the Queens/Grace Jackson meet at the National Stadium.Many are contending that the Red Hills Road-based institution will cop title number 25 this year, but the sprinter says his school will be coming all out to stop them.”We are all confident, we think we can get it this year (win Champs), we are just motivating the younger guys and see if they can repeat what we the seniors do,” he outlined.The KC star stressed that people can expect “medals and possibly records”.
Gardaí in Donegal are concerned about the increase in drink and drug driving cases in the county, which is one of the leading causes of fatal collisions.Ten people were arrested in Donegal last weekend for driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Ten arrests were also made the weekend before last.Gardaí have found a year-on-year increase in detections, with 416 arrests made between September 2018 and August 2019 – up 80 from the previous year. Garda Inspector Michael Harrison said the figures are very worrying:“We are extremely worried by the high level of detections in drink and drug driving. We would just ask people to obey the rules of the road, not to be drinking and driving. It is one of the leading contributors to fatal and serious injury collisions.”Inspector Harrison told Donegal Daily there is no known reason for the recent rise in cases.“The high level of detection and increase of detections in Donegal, from a Garda Síochána point of view, is very worrying. “We don’t know why it’s happening. The level of personnel that we have out there is the same, the level of checkpoints is the same, but for some reason or other people aren’t listening to the message about drinking and driving and we’d ask them just not to do it.” Worry over inexplicable rise in drink and drug driving was last modified: October 10th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Qatar is about to lose the world’s longest route to Singapore Airlines: photo: Qatar. Capital cities in Ireland and Australia as well as the party towns of Las Vegas and Rio de Janeiro are among the new destinations targeted by Middle Eastern carrier Qatar as it continues its aggressive expansion in 2017-18.The airline announced this week it would add eight new international destinations to the seven it previously announced on its fast-growing network which already includes more than 150 destinations in six continents.The newly announced ports are: the Australian capital of Canberra; Dublin, Ireland; Las Vegas; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; Santiago, Chile; Medan, Kualanamu International Airport, Indonesia; and Tabuk and Yanbu, the 9th and 10th destinations in Saudi Arabia.Canberra is the airline’s fifth destination in Australia and only the second international service for the city after Singapore Airlines started its Singapore-Canberra-Wellington “Capital Express” service this year.Las Vegas is the Gulf carrier’s 11th US destination while Medan is its third in Indonesia.The previously announced destinations for 2017-18 include the world’s longest commercial flight between Doha and New Zealand, scheduled to start February 5 as well as flights to Europe, Thailand and Africa.“With today’s network announcement, we will be able to connect more people to more places than any other Gulf airline, and we will ensure our passengers will delight in the journey,’’Qatar group chief executive Akbar Al Baker said in a statement.Qatar Airways, which has opened 12 new destinations so far in 2016, is a member of the oneworld alliance and competes against fellow gulf juggernauts Abu Dhabi-based Etihad and Dubai-based Emirates.It prides itself on a young fleet of 191 aircraft that includes Boeing 777 and 787 Dreamliner aircraft as well as wide range of Airbus aircraft. It was the global launch customer for the Airbus A350.
A Punjab-based Muslim body took out a rally here to protest against the killings of Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar.Members of Muslim Dharmik Committee Punjab, led by its state president Maulana Ubais-ur-Rehman, carried out a march from Jama Masjid to Tehsil complex last night, a police official said on Monday.They also presented a memorandum to duty magistrate Swapan Kaur for forwarding it to President Ram Nath Kovind. “We have sought the intervention of President Kovind and Prime Minister Narendra Modi against the atrocities on Rohingya Muslims,” said Mr. Rehman.They also demanded that the Rohingya seeking asylum in India should be allowed to settle here.Hundreds of thousands of Rohingya Muslims, described by the UN as the most persecuted minority in the world, fled their homes in Rakhine state in Myanmar recently to escape a military crackdown.Terming the Rohingya refugees as “illegal” immigrants, the government on September 18 told the Supreme Court that some of them were part of a “sinister” design of Pakistan’s ISI and terror groups such as the ISIS, whose presence in the country will pose a “serious” national security threat.
DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew San Miguel Beer turns cold in Game 1 as Magnolia clamps down on defense Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting “I think it’s more about getting my rhythm, it’s really my injury that’s affecting me because I feel good. I was out 12 days, almost two weeks since I last played long minutes so I’m just trying to get my rhythm,” he said. “I’m gonna bounce back on Game 2.”“He had an off night but I know will be back,” said SMB head coach Leo Austria, who rued his team’s poor shot selection in the loss.The Beermen shot just 37 percent from the field, including 9-of-36 from downtown.ADVERTISEMENT PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess LATEST STORIES Duterte wants probe of SEA Games mess MANILA, Philippines—San Miguel Beer sniper Marcio Lassiter returned from a back injury just in time for Game 1 of the PBA Philippine Cup Finals against Magnolia Wednesday night.ADVERTISEMENT Philippine Arena Interchange inaugurated SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassles Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Hontiveros presses for security audit of national power grid MOST READ But his shooting hasn’t. At least not yet.Although his back is fine, Lassiter admitted that he’s still groping for form due to the long layoff.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logistics“My back is good. [The pain] is something that I had from the previous games but I feel a lot better. I’m just gonna get my rhythm going for the next games,” Lassiter told reporters after a 99-94 loss.The 31-year-old Lassiter, who played 32 minutes, went scoreless after missing all of his eight shots, including the potential game-tying triple in the last 20 seconds of the game. Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next View comments
WILMINGTON, MA — Domenic R. Danieli, Sr., age 98, a long-time resident of Wilmington, passed away peacefully on June 9, 2018.Domenic was born in Boston, MA on February 23, 1920; he was the dear son of the late Lorenzo and Antoinetta (Conti) Danieli. Dom was raised and educated in Somerville, MA and was a graduate of Somerville High School.Dom enlisted in the United States Army on October 21, 1940; he bravely served in the Southern Philippines, the Northern Solomon Islands and at Guadalcanal during World War II. Dom received several commendations including the Good Conduct Medal GO 35 Headquarters 182nd Infantry 44, the Presidential Unit Citation GO 67 Headquarters American Division 43, American Defense Service Medal, Asiatic Pacific Theater Campaign Ribbon and the Philippine Liberation Ribbon as well as the Marksman Rifle 43 Combat Infantry Badge. Dom was honorably discharged on August 21, 1945 and returned home to his family.Following his return from the Army, Dom, went to work at the Cozy Grill in Somerville before taking a position as a Machinist for the Wakefield Engineering Company. Dom was a very hardworking and dedicated employee; he made lots of friends with his co-workers throughout the years.Dom then married his beloved wife Mary. The couple moved to Wilmington where they raised three wonderful sons, Dom Jr., Tom and Arthur. Dom and Mary shared many wonderful years together before her passing.Dom met Florence Lawrence and the couple became inseparable. Dom instantly became a member of the “Lawrence Clan” and he and Florence married shortly after. Dom and Florence loved spending time with their blended family in Wilmington and also heading to Pompano Beach, Florida during the winter where they had many friends.In his spare time, Dom liked to go walking, swimming in the pool and attending many potluck parties in Florida, family cookouts, and cooking. Dom was always cooking for his family and friends; he loved having everyone around the table for a good meal.Dom will be fondly remembered as a quiet and happy guy who loved being with family and friends. Dom would do anything for anyone and he will forever be missed by all who knew and loved him.Domenic was the beloved husband of Florence M. (Conlin) Lawrence, devoted father of Domenic Danieli & his wife Jeryl of Cornish, NH, the late Gloria, Thomas and Arthur Danieli, loving “Gramp” of Domenic, Eric & his wife Vicky and Teresa, loving great-grandfather of Noah, Kaya and Lynzie, step-father of Robert Lawrence of Wilmington, Linda Maloney & her husband Robert of The Villages, FL, Donna Blizzard of Wilmington and Jeanne Schneider of Tilton, NH, also survived by many Lawrence family grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Domenic was the husband of the late Mary Danieli and son of the late Lorenzo and Antoinetta (Conti) Danieli. He is further survived by many nieces and nephews.Family and friends will gather for Visitation at the Nichols Funeral Home, 187 Middlesex Ave. (Rte. 62), Wilmington on Thursday, June 14th from 10:00-11:45 a.m. followed by a Mass of Christian Burial at St. Thomas of Villanova Church, 126 Middlesex Ave., Wilmington at 12:00 noon. Interment with Military Honors will take place in Wildwood Cemetery, Wilmington.Domenic R. Danieli, Sr.(NOTE: The above obituary is from Nichols Funeral Home.)Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedOBITUARY: Charles G. Reekie, 88In “Obituaries”Wilmington OBITUARIES (Week of June 10, 2018)In “Obituaries”OBITUARY: Mary R. (Causi) Marinello, 94In “Obituaries”
[Representational Image]twitterThe California earthquake that happened on July 05, 2019, was an absolute shocker, and it made many people believe that the so-called ‘Ring of Fire’ is ripe for a major quake. Interestingly, Frank Hoogerbeets, a self-proclaimed Dutch seismic researcher had predicted the California quakes days before its occurrence, and he blamed planetary alignments for this rise in seismic activities.Now, Frank Hoogerbeets has once again made a shocking prediction, and he has claimed that a powerful earthquake will hit the planet today, July 27, 2019. As per Hoogerbeets, Earth’s alignment with Venus and Mercury will be the reason behind the trigger of seismic activity.”Earth’s alignment with Venus and Mercury early on the 25th may trigger larger seismic activity from the 25th to the 27th,” wrote Hoogerbeets on his website Ditrianum.As July 25th and 26th went uneventfully, followers of Hoogerbeets strongly believe that a powerful quake will happen on 27th of this month causing massive devastation in the affected area. However, Hoogerbeets has not revealed the exact place in which the earthquake could hit today. Hoogerbeets on his website has revealed that he is not a part of any conspiracy theory group, and the researcher made it clear that he wishes to provide impartial information about future earthquakes.”We are not part of any conspiracy theory group. We are not against anyone or anything. We provide information in an impartial manner about the seismic effects from specific planetary and lunar geometry,” says Hoogerbeets. The Dutch researcher also added that he is making these predictions using an advanced system named SSGI (Solar System Geometry Index). Hoogerbeets believe that electromagnetic force during the time of planetary alignments and lunar geometry will destabilize the tectonic plates on earth, thus causing earthquakes in the planet.However, seismic scientists are not convinced, and they claim that Hoogerbeets is making these predictions just for the sake of money and fame. As per seismic experts, no modern technology could predict earthquakes with precision.
By Sean Yoes, Baltimore AFRO Editor, email@example.comLast week, when CNN’s Jim Acosta engaged in perhaps his most volatile exchange (of many) with Donald Trump, he was accused of manhandling a White House intern (fake news), and had his press credentials yanked by the Trump administration (CNN is suing the White House to have Acosta reinstated).During the incident in the East Room of the White House the day after Trump attempted to spin last week’s midterm catastrophe for the GOP into a “win” for Republicans, NBC’s White House Correspondent, Peter Alexander defended his colleague Acosta. Later, a photo of Acosta and Alexander embracing served as a symbol of journalistic solidarity for many reporters. Further, many news outlets (including Fox News) rallied around Acosta and rebuked the White House’s decision to temporarily suspend Acosta’s credentials.Sean Yoes (Courtesy Photo)The ongoing tumult between Acosta, CNN and Trump has overshadowed Trump’s ongoing racist assault on Black women and specifically his recent denigration of three Black women who cover the Trump White House: April Ryan, Yamiche Alcindor and Abby Phillip.In a period of about 48 hours, Trump referred to Ryan as a “loser,” said Alcindor asked him “such a racist question” and told Philip “you ask a lot of stupid questions.”Here’s the full-Colored commentary on Trump’s racist scolding of these three talented Black journalists:On Nov. 7 in the East Room of the White House Trump, visibly unnerved by the midterm results, muddled through another rambling, paranoid wreck of a press conference. When Ryan, the White House correspondent for the American Urban Radio Networks sensed an opening during the press scrum, she rose to ask Trump a question. “Sit down!” Trump snapped. “I’m not responding to you…Very hostile,” Trump added as Ryan persisted with a question about voter suppression. Later during that same press conference Alcindor of the PBS Newshour asked Trump about his declaration that he is a (White) nationalist, during a campaign rally for Sen. Ted Cruz in Houston, prior to the midterms. Further, the unflappable Alcindor asked if Trump’s declaration is emboldening White nationalists across the country. “What a racist question,” was his response. “Why do I have among the highest poll numbers with African Americans (fake news)…Let me tell you, that’s a racist question,” Trump added.On the morning of Nov. 9, Trump zeroed in on Philip, CNN’s White House correspondent on the White House lawn. Phillip asked Trump about his appointment of Matt Whitaker as acting attorney general. Specifically, she asked Trump if he wanted Whitaker to “rein in” special counsel Robert Mueller.“What a stupid question that is. What a stupid question,” said Trump. No, perfectly cogent question, stupid, unhinged response. “I watch you a lot, you ask a lot of stupid questions,” Trump added. But, prior to his vicious attack on Phillip, he went after Ryan again calling her a “loser.”It seems clear Trump has his bloomers in a bunch as a result of the midterm butt-whipping he took, the specter of the Mueller investigation and the possible indictment of his son Don Jr., among other things. But, his unprecedented presidential woes do not excuse his racist invective leveled against Black women (see also his ongoing attacks on Rep. Maxine Waters). And the tired refrain of Trump defenders that he is an “equal opportunity offender” is straight B.S.He reserves his most virulent attacks for Black people and in this case, three Black women doing their jobs in an environment inherently hostile against them. Can you imagine the pressure on them trying to cover a White nationalist in the White House? We’ve seen the mainstream media rally around Acosta (on more than one occasion). But, what is the media prepared to do on behalf of Ryan, Philip and Alcindor in the face of blatantly racist attacks by Trump? Apparently, not much beyond lip service.Trump’s power (diminished significantly in the Congress because of the pending Democratic control of the House) is derived from his command of the megaphone (social media and mainstream media). What if the press snatched that megaphone out of his small, orange hands? Without that megaphone, Trump would lose his mind, what little is left. There has been sporadic talk about a media boycott of the 45th president. But, I’m not going to hold my breath.Instead I argue the Black Press should defend the honor of the three women who have been deeply disrespected by Trump. Why can’t the Black Press black out Trump?To quote Trump, “What the hell do you have to lose?”Sean Yoes is the Baltimore AFRO editor and author of Baltimore After Freddie Gray: Real Stories From One of America’s Great Imperiled Cities.